Monday, April 25, 2011

Firing FB?

After being off of Facebook for nearly 46 days, I am completely overwhelmed by it all.  I don't know what to do with all of the changes.  For instance, the question thing is really weird but kind of cool.  I just don't get it.  And then there is the fact that the people who I contact only through FB have been out of touch for the last month and a half...so it's weird trying to catch up on their lives and not be too "stalker-ish" in coming back on FB and commenting, etc. 

For Lent, it was absolutely great to be away no matter how much I missed it.  But, FB is too much right now for it to be what it was before Lent.  And I don't want it to be how it was before Lent.  So although I adjusted quite quickly to it, it's still a lot to take in at once.  THUS...I'm turning off FB texts to my phone.  AND...I'm honestly considering deleting the app off my phone again.  It's annoyingly on a third page of apps, plus I seem to click on it often wasting battery.  Lol.  So, I'm not so sure about that one, but the texts are done.

It's not only the overwhelming feeling it provides by its natural presence, but there is also a social aspect that I'm already missing.  While being off for Lent, I realized how much more effort I had to put into portraying my emotions and opinions...However, by doing that, others were doing it too.  For instance, I actually had to ask my best friend how her morning was going, rather than looking at her FB updates from 4:30am, 6:03am, and 8:24am.  I actually had to live life for real, rather than in an online world.  I had real conversations with people.  No one knew what I was doing every minute of my day, and I didn't know theirs.  It was a glorious thing, really. 

So, am I firing FB?  No, not really.  But I'm not letting it take over my real life.  I love it in order to check up on people and see how everyone is doing.  I love being able to communicate through it, posting pictures and statuses, etc.  I love being able to minister through it.  BUT, I don't want it to become my reality that I'm so dependent on its existence in my life. 

Therefore, no to FB texts, maybe to FB app, and sure to FB profile.  I will be okay not being on FB until I can get to a computer.  I was away from it for 40-some-odd days!  Surely I can handle a few hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment