Friday, March 18, 2011

A Storyette: My Sister

I wrote this story over the past couple of days.  Remember that it is fictional, so I am MORE than happy to take comments/suggestions/etc.  Thanks for reading! :)


My Sister
by: Samantha Fomera
            I remember that day like it was yesterday.  Tears streamed down my face as I watched her go.  Her long brown hair draped down her back swishing with every step.  I remember exactly what she was wearing.  It was the purple shirt and black sweater that we bought on our latest girls’ day out.  The dark jeans were well-known to her style.  Not to mention her black flats with a bow on each shoe.  I watched her as she got ready that evening.  She didn’t say a word the entire time.  Mom tried to talk her out of leaving, but it was unsuccessful.  Mom was angry at her decision, but stopping her was nearly impossible by this point.  She took nothing but her heavy purse and walked out the front door, leaving myself and Mom on the doorstep.  She never looked back, but continued on her way.  She faded into the dark night.  The porch light caused my vision to be distorted, but I knew she was gone.  Gone where?  I didn’t know.
            I remember growing up, she was my big sister.  On warm, sunny days, she would take me to the park if I promised to be really good.  There was a vibrant red swing set.  It was my favorite thing to play on as a child.  She would always let me swing first.  I was too short to touch the ground, so she would push me.  With each push, I grew further and further away from the ground.  I felt strong.  I felt like I could do anything.  I think that’s what sisters do, you know.  They help you to become your best and go further than you’ve ever imagined. 
Of course, there were other times when she didn’t always live up to that sisterly role.  Sure, there was the little stuff.  Since she was older, she had the advantage with mom.  She would blame things on me, like the time that black ink stained the carpet.  She was showing me how to write with a feather ink pen.  I was finally able to write letters, rather than blobs.  She had reached over the table to look at how I was progressing, but upon returning to her own chair, her sweater caught the ink and it spilled all over the light beige carpet that clothed the dining room floor.  When our mom came home, my sister told her that I had knocked the ink off the table in frustration that I wasn’t doing at good as I wanted to be doing. 
As we got older, nothing really changed, although the bad times got worse.  I’m sure my sister never realized it at all.  But I felt like her maid servant.  I was there at her every beckon and did whatever she wanted.  I knew her judgment was best anyway.  Nothing I had was truly mine.  You know sisters; they share everything.  I understood that if she wanted something, she needed it more than I did.  She was, in fact, the older sister.  I would drive her places too, or bring her lunch, even if I had to go out of my way to do it.  I never wanted to say “no” to her. 
In high school, I was always made fun of for wearing turtlenecks.  Apparently they weren’t in style anymore. Teachers became concerned when I wore them, especially on warm, sunny days.  I just wanted to make sure that everything was covered according to Mom’s standards.  I had to go to the school guidance counselor on one occasion. 
The counselor wanted me to talk about my home life.  I told her that I was the younger of two sisters.  My dad had left my mom when I was little, though I had heard from my big sister that mom forced him out of the house. My mom worked two jobs to keep us going.  So, I had to clean the house, make dinners, and take care of whatever else needed to be done while she was gone during the day.  That’s all, ma’am.  She pressed further, but I didn’t have anything else I wanted to say.  I asked if I could go back to class.  Thankfully, she said yes.  That was the last time she asked me to come in to see her. On the way out, I heard her tell the principal to watch me closely, but that I just had a busy home life and it wasn’t anything to be concerned with.  If only they knew the whole story. 
I remember the weight of the hand that was heavy on my shoulder as my sister walked out of our lives that chilly night.  The long, bony fingers had squeezed my shoulder blade.  I had thought about wincing in pain, but opted not to do so for fear of what might come later in the night.  Her hands were rough like sandpaper.  Her long nails always painted an ugly red color.   
She was right to leave us.  My sister knew the way out.  Perhaps someday, I’d learn too.

No comments:

Post a Comment