Saturday, March 19, 2011

Inside, Not Outside!

Today's Readings:
~ John 5: 31-39
~ Proverbs 11
~ Romans 1-2

* A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical.  No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code.  Such a man's praise is not from men, but from God. - Romans 2:28-29 (NIV)

I think this reading really gets to the heart of what this Lenten season is all about for me.  I call myself a Christian, yet there is still much pruning that God needs to do on me.  I have no doubt in my mind that Jesus is the Savior, however, I'm still working on that part about Jesus being the Lord of MY life.  I think everyone has to go through this, some more gradual than others.  So, I'm in no way odd. I just wish there was some easy "fix me" button that I could push and I would be who God wants me to be. 

I love these verses because it all has to be done by the Spirit.  It really isn't anything we can do, other than allowing the Spirit to work. Some days, like these, I feel like God is moving in my life quite a bit pruning me and helping me become who I am supposed to be.  And then, there are other days when everything becomes comfortable.  Although, I don't stay comfy for long!  


In the long run, it's the inside that counts, not the outside.  Yes, I believe that we all need to look and act like Christians, but I think that comes as an overflow of the Christian heart.  So, I think I need to put more emphasis on becoming who God wants me to be on the inside.  I need to allow God inside of my heart so that it overflows with the fruit of the Spirit. (Gal 5:22-23)  I want to become a more perfect creation of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment