Thursday, March 24, 2011

Legitimate Thoughts

So, I am trying to figure out what in the world I'm supposed to be doing tonight.  Somehow in the midst of hanging out with a friend from church, I got myself into making dinner for her family tonight. Now, I'm not sure how that happened, other than that the family needs help in more ways than one.  But it did. Thus, my low-fat cooking genes need to come out FAST!  I'm a little bit nervous about hanging out with this family.  I hardly know them, yet I know they are nice people.  I've never been to their house before, and on the first time going over there, they are intending on showing me around the house and their kitchen and giving me pretty much full access to their house, including a garage code?!  Craziness.  I think she wants me to come over weekly and cook dinner for them.  Which is fine.  But I don't think she realizes that I won't be here after May.  And that's not really far away.  And I have no idea how anything could really be put in place with me leaving so soon.  BUT...

I wonder what would happen if the church started some sort of depression support group.  Now, I'm not talking about a group counseling sort of thing.  There are enough of those things out there, and honestly, I think counseling for people going through depression could be very bad, especially if one hasn't found a decent counselor who understands the situation.  I want a sort of group to be started that people who are depressed can come to and feel accepted.  I want people to feel needed.  I think so often, people who sink into depression are found in this place where nothing matters and they feel isolated and like nothing would really change if they were gone.  But, if people can start to feel needed, in an optional way, I think that would help.  They always say that helping others is one of the best medicines out there.  So, that's a random idea.  I have no clue how it would be organized or what it would even be exactly. Perhaps it doesn't even have to be a part of the church.  But rather, a group of people who feel isolated and downright depressed helping each other to make it through their living nightmare.  

Okay, that's all the legitimate thoughts I have for now.  Any ideas/suggestions can be posted in the comments area.  I am curious to see how tonight goes, and what happens. I'm sure I'll let the online world know too.  I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment