Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Grandma's Cookin'

Yesterday, I made sausage links.  You probably think I'm crazy, but I definitely like my links WELL DONE!  So, nearly burnt.  Some prefer them to be slightly brown.  Or, for instance, who doesn't have an opinion about bacon?!  Most of us know whether we like our bacon chewy or crispy, burnt or dipped in chocolate.  Some may not even like bacon at all or choose not to eat it for one reason or another.  But, we all differ in various ways  I think it is interesting how we can differ, yet remain tied.

A few weeks ago, I was attempting to make some hamburger.  I was at a friend's house, so I was browning the beef while she was taking care of another part of the meal.  Apparently, I was doing it wrong.  She did not care for my way of cooking.  Although, had I finished, the ground beef would have turned out exactly the way that her cooking provided.  I merely had a different way of doing it. 

Of course, the sausage links turned out amazingly, but my friend had to trust that I knew what I was doing...And even though I really had no clue, other than years of watchin' grandma cook, she trusted that I wasn't losing my mind and cooking them in a strange way.  She had never made 'em in a skillet anyway.  :)  AND THEN...She told me that she doesn't make bacon in a skillet anymore...Instead, she informed me that she makes microwavable bacon?!?!?!  Needless to say, I wasn't so sure about this microwavable bacon.  I feel like it ain't anything like grandma's cookin'!  

Now, I'm not the best chef by any means.  In fact, my french toast is HORRIBLE!  I burn it, or the middle isn't done, or the mixture of eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon isn't right.  I haven't made french toast in YEARS since the last time I tried to make it, which was somewhere around 12-ish???  So, while I can pull off hamburger and sausage, and EVEN bacon, my french toast is helpless.  

I can't make a gourmet breakfast alone.  I can only do the part that I am good at.  I leave the rest up to someone else.  And I suppose that's how life is.  We can only do one part, because we are all unique and differ in many ways...from the way we cook to what we can actually make happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment