Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mirror Moments

Day 15
~ John 7:37-44
~ Proverbs 15
~ Romans 8-10
~ Isaiah 65:1-7

*"I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me.  To a nation that did not call on my name, I said, 'Here am I, here am I.'  All day long I have held out my hands to an obstinate people who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations-" - Isaiah 65:1-2 (NIV)

*The discerning heart seeks knowledge..." - Proverbs 15:14a (NIV)

*The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor. - Proverbs 15:33 (NIV)

*I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. - Romans 8:18 (NIV)

*For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. - Romans 10:10 (NIV)

Mirror Moments
 
I've noticed that my key Scriptures have gotten longer and longer.  It is kind of interesting how I used to be choosing one, two tops, and now, I have three or even five verses that really stand out.  It is amazing to see how each of these verses are working in my life to make me more like God intended me to be.  

I'm sure you know the familiar phrase or the abbreviation WWJD?  I've found a strong disliking to it.  Now, I am sure that it can be proved as being helpful, but to be frank, Jesus didn't live in this time, nor this culture.  We are faced with sooo much more temptations and trials that are different that what Jesus faced while He was here on earth.  Now, I fully believe that Jesus had His share of temptations.  However, I feel like a different question would suit the phrase much better than what we have here.  So, I ask:  What would Jesus want me to do?  Because the aim of our lives isn't so that we can all be copy cats of Jesus.  If God wanted that, I think He could have managed it in a different way. Instead, He made us all unique put in a culture that varies greatly than anything our ancestors went through!  

God wants us to be the best "so-and-so" that He intended for us to be.  I want to be the Samantha that He intended for me to be.  Because somewhere along the line, I screwed up and the picture perfect me that I was at one point in time has been lost.  So, now I am fishing for that image of who He wants me to be when I look in the mirror.  I want to have that humility that Jesus had.  I want to have that purity that God honors.  I want to have that patience that Jesus portrays.  I want to fear God with the love and reverence that He deserves.  I want to seek knowledge with who I am in order to discern which steps to take.  

I am in no way perfect.  I can't name one thing about me that is polished clean.  I don't think I can even name one thing that I've done completely and totally right in this world...except one thing:  giving my life to God.  

I may never understand why He took it.  It's a complete mess.  But slowly, day by day, He works within me to clean it up and make it more like that picture perfect me.  Perhaps someday, I'll be granted my ticket to heaven with a one-way pass.  But for now, I will have my mirror moments, when I will look in the mirror and hate what I see...but know that GOD is the One who will make me into something beautiful.  

*It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. - Romans 9:16 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment