Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Law - Day 12

Today's Readings:
~ John 6:60-69
~ Proverbs 12
~ Romans 3-4

*Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. - Romans 3:20 (NIV)

*For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law...Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith?  Not at all!  Rather, we uphold the law. - Romans 3:28, 31 (NIV)

I've always been a big fan of Romans.  It is truly the groundwork of the Christian faith.  Most answers that I have regarding the religion are found in Romans.  So...I LOVE this book.  But more than just loving the book for what it is, I love how it treats this relationship between the law and faith.  I interpret the law as being what is laid out in the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible.  Faith, in what is unseen, is truly what saves us.  Faith that Jesus rose from the dead on the third day as the Son of God (AKA - God Himself).  That is what saves us!  However, these verses tell us not to dismiss the law completely.  

I think so many of us "contemporary" Christians ignore much of the "law."  We consider it to be part of the time period/culture, or we don't think it is relevant.  However, I learned a lot in my head-covering days about what is or isn't relevant.  I won't lie to you...I LOVED covering my head.  And some days, I really miss it.  But more than that, it taught me exactly how CRAZY one is perceived as being by following a simple commandment that doesn't seem to fit into the "American" culture.  Now, I am not saying that our modern day society should pick up the Bible and follow every single commandment within the text.  I don't think it would even be possible.  But, the Scripture above says that we still need to study the text so that we can become conscious of sin.  This becoming conscious is more than just what our conscience tells us.  Most of the time, that only keeps us being moral beings and reminds us of right and wrong based on what we already know.  But this becoming conscious requires learning.  It is the discovery of looking at the text and figuring out who God is and who God wants you to become.  It is looking at the text and figuring out what God approves of and what He doesn't want you to do.  And yes, this even includes the Old Testament.  (It was the initial law in the first place that Jesus and the early Christians had!!!)  

As I'm going through this Lenten season, I remind myself that so much of what this time is all about is self-examination.  As one pastor put it, it is "figuring out where you might be betraying Jesus."  Or another, it is a time "to figure out what cup or cross that you are carrying for the sake of others."  I continue to remind myself to let Jesus into my life completely.  To allow Him to sweep every corner and make me conscious of every bit of dirt.  But today's Scripture reminded me that I also need to investigate the law.  I need to know what God wants for my life and who God is...God is a living being.  God is here with me now, and forever will be with each one of us.  But faith isn't enough.  The law is still important.  The law can still teach us how to be in a relationship with God.  Let us not be the one to dismiss the law so easily...

No comments:

Post a Comment