Friday, March 18, 2011

The Concept of Love

Okay, the migraine has dulled down to a rumble, so I thought I'd tell you what's on my mind. 

I think we've all heard this common passage, but tonight, try to think of it in a way different than you would hear it at a wedding or other happy occasion:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails. - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 (NIV)

As I grew up in the public school system, I had people come and go who were my friends.  Some left because of moving.  Actually, most left because they were the kids who moved in and out of town within a year.  AND...In a small school, if you are new, you are weird and/or an outcast.  Thus, I was friends with these people.  Then, there were the friends whom I made through helping them with their school work.  No worries, I didn't give the answers away.  But, I helped them to learn. Of course, then I became the teachers' best friend and always was paired with the struggling students in group projects!  Then, there were the friends that left because they found someone else who suited their needs better than I did.  Or the ones who left me feeling betrayed.  But all the while, I kept coming back to this familiar passage. 

This passage is often read at weddings to remind the couple of their commitment to one another.  But, no where in the passage does it devote it only to love for a spouse.  We are told to love God and love one another.  So, this is how I taught myself how to love.  I've never had a date in my entire life.  Not one boyfriend has ever consumed my time, EVER!  The closest I've ever been to anyone is with my friends.  Like I said before, my friends seemed to come and go, but every single one of them, I still strive to love as best I can.  Some think I'm crazy and trying to make some retribution.  But really, it is merely to show that God loves no matter what, and I'm trying to as well.  True love never fails.  And love is always patient. 

Don't you wish all your relationships were that perfect?!  Just a thought.  

No comments:

Post a Comment