Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Praying the Rosary

My Rosary
Recently, I have begun to pray the rosary.  

No, I am not Catholic.  I am a protestant.  

However, I have begun to see a peace from God and reverence for God that I haven't had in a REALLY long time.  While you may think that this is a horrible thing and that I should be able to get those things (peace and reverence) by doing something else...okay, you may be right.  But, for me, the rosary isn't about praying to Mary, Jesus' mother.  It is a meditation tool.  It is something that I can do to keep me focused.  It gives me something to play with while I pray, something to say while I meditate, and something specific to meditate on.  While I don't agree with one set of the mysteries (because I don't know that they are biblical because they go off of assumptions), I still LOVE the other three sets of mysteries.  

There are four sets of five mysteries: Joyful, Sorrowful, Glorious, and Luminous.  If one wishes to pray the rosary, you typically choose one set of the mysteries to meditate on, rather than doing all 20 mysteries (4 sets), or follow the pattern set by Pope John Paul II.  

If you wish to know more about how to pray the rosary you can follow this link and it will give you instructions on how to pray and the set of mysteries for each day:  How to Pray the Rosary 

I do not plan on ever becoming Catholic, as I do not agree with much of their doctrine.  But, I love this meditation tool of the rosary.  And I don't only have the choice of praying the mysteries, I can also pray the rosary for a person or special need.  

Here is a link to a great website that will explain more about the mysteries as well as some FAQ that you probably are thinking too!  Might explain some of those horrible things that you are thinking about me because of what you consider the rosary to be.  The Rosary - Catholic Bible 101


I am more than happy to discuss this rosary thing with you, so if you have a question or concern, feel free to post a comment or email me.  Hope to hear your thoughts!
 

2 comments:

  1. interesting. I'm the only other non-Catholic I know of who does this, but there are sites online for praying the Lutheran & Ecumenical rosaries as well.
    (I am Reformed Baptist, but pray the Lutheran rosary, which is similar to the Catholic form but uses the Jesus prayer in place of the Hail Mary for the decades.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's incredibly interesting! I never knew that there were Lutheran and Ecumenical ways of praying the rosary!!! I suppose you learn something new each day!

    ReplyDelete