Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Retreat

After giving Nichole a hard time about never closing the door of my bedroom, I must admit that I'm quite tired of hearing the weather reports over and over and over and over.......(*gets up to shut the door*)

Today, there has been quite a bit of bad storm weather in my part of the state!  Tornadoes have been showing their ugly rotation everywhere!  Communities have been pulling together to make things work out as best as they can.  So, when the storm got a lil' too ugly, I packed up my stuff and went down to the basement.  It was cool down in the basement, but once I got cuddled into a blanket, I was not far from falling asleep.  When I first got settled in, I decided to use the time as a break away from the computer.  I chose to pray the rosary for the storm, safety for family and friends, the victims, and how God might choose to work through the storms.  I found an incredible peace calm the storm within me.  I was reminded that I am not in control, but that God is fully in control.  I was reminded that it isn't about the decorations on the walls or the complexity of the shelving in my room, but that it is all about God and His grace to allow me to have a roof over my head.  I was reminded that my relationship with God isn't about everyone else, but about me and God.  (It seems funny, but it can get that way sometimes.)  It's nice to know that I am not in control and that I am not the one who has to make all the decisions.  My indecisiveness appreciates that.  But, that God is in control even when I feel things are out of control.

This storm was a chance for me to retreat from the world and figure out life, while the rain and wind went on and on today.  I was able to focus on what I need to do to perfect myself in order to become more holy like God (Mt. 5:48) and to focus on what I need to do to prepare myself for Africa (Mk 10:21).

No comments:

Post a Comment