Saturday, May 7, 2011

Journey into the Unknown

Today, I've really missed the familiar.  Ya know, the stuff I've been doing to worship Jesus for the last 19 years, 11 months, and one day!  But, I'm positive that I'm headed in the right direction.  Once I'm in His Presence, I know that what I'm doing is right.  As anyone might guess, it wears off.  And I freak out and my uncertainty comes back. But it isn't so much uncertainty about my decision as it is moving into the unfamiliar.  Anyhow, I don't want to drag this out because my hands hurt pretty bad right now as they are swollen, but...

I went up for a blessing at communion today, since I'm not Catholic yet.  The lady didn't really know what to do with someone who doesn't want or can't take communion.  So, I just tried to forgive and forget...but I couldn't forget.  It made me feel incredibly uncomfortable.  I look back on it and laugh.  But at the time, I was nearly in tears.  It was hard enough being closed from the table, though I understand why I couldn't partake in the meal.  So, that will be one thing that I'll just have to learn to deal with while I'm not Catholic and perhaps this time away from the meal will help me truly appreciate the significance of it, though it pains me to wait.  Another phase of my wilderness.  :)

On another note, I "told" my Methodist pastor about becoming Catholic through an email after his asking if I could preach at the end of June.  So, hopefully he takes it well and doesn't ask too many questions.  ;) 

Okay.  I'm done.  I'm becoming a Catholic, so bear with me as I transition.  OH...And my best friend/sister, Nichole, says the bestest prayers ever!!!  :-)  So, enjoy the ride as I journey into the unknown......

2 comments:

  1. "It was hard enough being closed from the table, though I understand why I couldn't partake in the meal." - why can't you take part in communion there? That has always bothered me. Is there a legit reason why the table is closed in the Catholic church?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a common question asked by both Catholics and non-Catholics alike. Many non-Catholics, when attending a Mass at a Catholic wedding, find themselves being gently told that they should not come forward to receive Holy Communion. Of course, they wonder, “Why? Catholics are allowed to receive communion in our church, so why can’t we receive Communion with the other Catholics here?”

    Catholics believe in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, meaning that what appears to be bread and wine is really Jesus’ body and blood—not just a symbol of his body and blood. When Catholics receive Holy Communion, it is an expression of the unity among all those in communion with the Catholic Church throughout the world, who maintain the belief in the Real Eucharistic Presence of Christ. Therefore, only those who believe in the True Presence may participate in this sacrament of oneness with Christ and his Church. “… [T]he celebration of the Eucharistic sacrifice is wholly directed toward the intimate union of the faithful with Christ through communion” (CCC 1382).

    Ultimately, Catholics believe that we cannot celebrate this unifying sacrament with other Christians while there are disagreements about the Eucharist itself. However, Catholics pray for the day when we can reconcile with other Christians and share in the unity of God’s people through the Holy Eucharist.

    The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops expresses this desire for unity:

    “We pray that our common baptism and the action of the Holy Spirit in this Eucharist will draw us closer to one another and begin to dispel the sad divisions which separate us. We pray that these will lessen and finally disappear, in keeping with Christ's prayer for us ‘that they may all be one’” (John 17:21).

    Taken from: http://www.catholicscomehome.org/answers-eucharist.php

    ReplyDelete