Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 85 - Hallowed Halloween?

I was able to spend most of my Saturday with one of my best friends. Most of it was pretty fantastic...though there always seems to be a bump at sometime or another. SO...I'm SUPER excited that the bump is working itself out...though, there will be work that eventually has to come in order for it to be resolved. But, I don't really know when that will take place, or even if it will take place, since it's not really dependent on me right now. :) (YAY for less work for me!!!) Long story made short...I just have to remember to be careful with my moods. I can choose how I want to feel (for the most part)...So yup! :)

Oh, the main reason I'm writing this blog post...Today is Halloween! Not sure if that's a good thing or not. I had someone point out today that it is, in fact, a pagan holiday so she will not be celebrating it. It's interesting because I haven't had someone tell me that in a LONG time and she kind of caught me off guard. Haha. That's ok.

AND THEN, at the grocery store, I had someone ask if I was already dressed up for halloween??? I was in NORMAL clothes with my normal "bun" head covering. Kind of awkward...didn't really make sense. Oh well. Lol.

SO...I'm curious how many people who claim to be a Christian don't celebrate/encourage Halloween...It's a pagan holiday that has been transformed to fit just about any culture. The Hispanics use it as preparation for their Day of the Dead (on which they honor the people who have gone before them). Americans use it as a night to get disguised and freak out others! Kids have fun going door to door trick-or-treating. I didn't ever like trick-or-treating (especially once I got older), but it certainly seems to be fun for the parents.

Is it right to claim to be a Christian, yet encourage paganism through something as Halloween? Does the celebration of Halloween encourage paganism? Have Christians, in some fashion, hallowed Halloween so that we can celebrate it? Long story short, it's still a pagan holiday in tradition. What are we as Christians supposed to do about it? Do we still buy Halloween candy to pass out to the neighborhood kids? Or dress our kid(s) in costumes for halloween parties at schools or even churches???

Have we hallowed Halloween???

Okay...that's all I got for ya, considering its 1am-ish! Adios W.W.W. world! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment