Saturday, June 12, 2010

One Question

Today’s Scripture:

“When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, ‘Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?’

‘Yes, Lord’ he said, ‘you know that I love you.’

Jesus said, ‘Feed my lambs.’

Again Jesus said, ‘Simon son of John, do you truly love me?’

He answered, ‘Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.’

Jesus said, ‘Take care of my sheep.’

The third time he said to him, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, ‘Do you love me?’ He said, ‘Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.’

Jesus said, ‘Feed my sheep.’”

- John 21:15-17 (NIV)

I am currently searching for a job. A part-time job. A job that I can work and go to school with. A job that can use my past experience. A job that is only about 20-25 hours a week. A job that is preferably not flipping burgers. Just sayin’. Do you know how many questions you are asked when applying for a job??? It is a ridiculous number!

For example, today, I went to apply for a front desk position at a hotel. The worker at the desk not only had to ask me to fill out a two page application on my entire life, but also made me repeat at least half of what was already on there…Part-time or full-time? How many hours? What kind of work have you done in the past? Have you already received your Bachelor of Arts? And not only that, she had an accent that made communication fairly difficult! Now, I held on pretty well for the long list of questions, but as I left, I felt extremely tired.

As I drove back home, I was reminded of the story of Jesus and Peter above. (Here, Peter is called by his “official” name – Simon son of John.) Jesus continually asks only one question…Do you love me? That’s it. The magical question isn’t “Do you read your Bible every day?” “Do you pray often?” “Do you take up space in a pew every Sunday morning?” No…Jesus doesn’t ask those questions. Yes, those practices are important to being a disciple of Jesus…but those acts come out of our love for Jesus and our longing to know Him more.

Jesus asks only one question – “Do you love me?” So, do you love Him? Do you love what He did for you and me? I must say that Jesus was the only one that has ever died for me and all my mistakes! Do you answer the question like Simon Peter, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you”?

After answering one question…not twenty-five, as well as an interview process, as well as…well, you get the point. After that one critical question of “Do you love me?” we are given our job description – “Feed My sheep.”

Are you in need of answering the one question Jesus asks us? If you have, are you fulfilling your job description as a disciple of Jesus? It’s one of the most fulfilling jobs out there! (And the eternal benefits are GREAT!) Answer the question…and join the rest of us who said…YES LORD; You know that I love YOU!

________________________________


© Copyright 2010, Samantha Fomera

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment