Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Forever Changes

Twenty years, eight months, and nine days ago, a decision was made by my parents to get married. A decision that has shaped and molded my life...and actually brought me into existence. Somehow, that decision is no longer valid. The decision to love and to cherish one another is over. The decision to love each other for better, for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health...all of that is over. Somehow, they fell out of love...or at least one of them did. I still don't understand how people can be married to each other, live in the same house with each other, make and raise children with each other, and then one day decide to no longer love. I finally agree with one of my friends here at school..."Love is a decision, not an emotion."

It's strange to think that from now on (if they actually go through with this set court date of today), my parents are no longer married. I'm actually a kid of divorced parents. You know in school, when teachers used to always tell us to tell our parents something...I was one of the few students who were able to say to a classmate: "Yeah, my mom and dad are still married." I was proud to be the "owner" of two parents who were still married when over half of my friends in high school have divorced parents. I felt bad for them, and I still do. I didn't understand how a kid could make it through school without one's parents being together. I can only imagine how stressed I would have been around graduation time, or even for one of my many flute performances...having to tell both parents...hoping that one of them might not show up for fear of another argument. I still am not sure how that is going to work down the road for the rest of the sibs and even for my college stuff. Oh well...guess we'll find out soon enough.

Today is like a normal day, except two people will, once again, do something that will forever change my life, but not my dreams of the person I want to become...

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you and for your folks today. May you find Christ's peace in the midst of brokenness.

    ReplyDelete