Sunday, June 13, 2010

Memory Blank

Psalm 119: 11 (NIV) - “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”

As I was getting ready for church this morning, I pulled out my handy dandy iPhone. I opened it to the Bible app and scrolled through the book of Psalm. Now, I am definitely not the expert on where is what in the Bible…but as I scrolled I tried to remember what verses of hope I could find in each chapter.

Here’s the first few…

Psalm 1 - it’s always used at funerals. Still not sure why.

Psalm 22 - Good Friday anyone?

Psalm 23 - I think I memorized that one in Sunday School when I was five.

Psalm 46 - There’s a verse in there that I have on a plaque setting on my desk…oh, what was that verse?!

Pitiful, isn’t it. Ha. It’s like I have gone memory blank, rather than stored up a memory bank. Now, it isn’t like my brain hasn’t been memorizing things. Since the last time I can remember memorizing a verse of God’s Word I have also memorized…

Not only the states and capitals, but also the states and capitals of Canada AND all the countries and their capitals for the entire globe!

The twelve major scales…as well as the natural, harmonic, and melodic minor scales…and intervals, chords, and other musical things like that.

A list of history terms.

A long list of elements and where they are on the periodic table. (Thanks, Mrs. Heitman!)

And lots of other “really useful information.”

Now, I gotta say that in the past three months…I have used one of those useful things that I memorized…AND THAT’S ONLY BECAUSE I DID COLLEGE BAND!!! Ha. It’s horrible. How many of us say that we want to know God and that we want to stop sinning, but we can’t even remember what God classifies as a sin!? God wants us to know His Word backwards and forwards because within it…that’s where knowledge about Him lies.

I know as a college student, I still cringe at the thought of reading another BIG book. Nonetheless, the Bible is God’s gift to us. I heard in Sunday School as a kid that the Bible was a big guide to living. (It’s like the manual that no one ever reads, until something goes wrong…And even then, you just look on the back to see the customer service number that you call, hoping that they would fix your problem!) If it’s our guide to living, don’t you think we should at least read it? From my past knowledge, it tends to be an interesting read…with wars, adventure, romance, death and dying, yet it has an EXCELLENT ending…

Go ahead this morning, and give it a try! Open it up…and melt away in God’s never-ending love for His people…Melt away in His love for YOU…

________________________________

© Copyright 2010, Samantha Fomera


All rights reserved


Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment