Monday, August 5, 2013

Big God, Big Vision - Pt 1

This has been laying on my heart deeply lately, so I figured I would try to put into words how BIG our God is and how BIG our vision should be.  This will be done in parts, so this is section 1 of 8.  Read, comment, whatever!  But know that I love and appreciate feedback/discussion!
1.      Dream Big
2.      Have Hope that God is FOR YOU!
3.      Stand in the face of Opposition
4.      Reality of following/trusting God
5.      Needing God beyond heaven and hell
6.      Denying yourself and your will
7.      Exchanging Your Desires for His Desires
8.      Getting Excited to Live
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION ONE: DREAM BIG
“Look at the nations, and watch –
And be utterly amazed.
For I am going to do something in your days
that you would not believe, even if you were told.”
Habakkuk 1:5 (NIV)

            Be EXCITED!  You cannot even imagine what God is doing or His Master Plan!  You can’t even piece together what heaven is going to look like or even what is going to happen in the future of your marriage, kids, career, church, or the world around you.  So much of Scripture talks about an omnipresent God.  It talks about a God who is all-knowing, all-loving, and all-powerful.  Yet, we limit ourselves.

            When we pray we ask for little things like, “Lord, give comfort to Billy Joe.  It’s just a really hard time for him.  Be with him, Lord.”  DUH!  God is already going to be with poor Billy Joe and God could do SOOOO much more if we widened our view of God.  Now, I am not saying this is a “Name It, Claim It” philosophy which is often looked upon in a negative light.  But I am saying we limit God by believing he can do so little for us.  Think about it, when did you actually ask and believe that God was going to do something huge and impossible?  In reality, we treat God as if He is small and honestly – BORING!  If we truly want to learn how to create a vision for ourselves and our church, then we need to attempt to visualize how big our God is!  We cannot get into a rut of little prayers accomplishing little things with little belief that our God can do more. 

            Job got a nice long speech about how big our God is.  He hit a rough patch in life.  It was tragic really.  He lost everything.  He lost his crops and livestock, his belongings, his career, and his family to the very last relative.  All of it was dead because God allowed Satan to test him to see if God was right about Job being righteous before God.  Not only did he lose his family and belongings, he also lost his health.  He got these sores that oozed out puss and yet he didn’t curse God as tempted, but rather Job sat in ashes, scrapping his wounds with a piece of broken pottery. 

            I admire Job at this point in the story.  When I got sick, I was not so quick to just sit around and wait for God’s work to finish.  Instead, I got angry.  I got so angry that I stopped going to church and believing that God really cared about us humans.  I was a perfectly healthy 19-year old college student who was headed for greatness, or so I thought!  I was going to get my bachelor’s degree in less than four years and head to graduate school for my dream career!  Well, I was going to do all of that until I was in a fender bender that traumatized my body into full-time, constant, chronic pain.  Day and night, 24 hours a day, 7 days a wee, my body writhed in pain.  Doctors thought I had gone mentally crazy.  Doctor after doctor, medical bill after medical bill, I strived for an answer.  But I longed for an answer far more than a diagnosis could bring.  I wanted to know why.  Why me?  Why was I cursed to live with this pain as long as my body had life?  With the pain came far more than an achy body.  Friends left quickly.  Many didn’t believe me as it was not a disease of the outside, but rather an inner aching pain that begins attacking a body where no infection lies.  Lupus SLE was the diagnosis, but it didn’t answer why I was being forced to live in constant pain.  The people who stuck around me gave all sorts of advice as to why it might be happening to me. 

            Job faced the same thing.  As he sat in ashes, friends came and sat by him.  I imagine he liked when they sat merely in silence, mourning his loss with him, until finally, they spoke.  They told him the age-old stories of why he had to go through all of this pain.  But, as you can imagine, not many words can calm someone when you are dealing with that kind of pain.  Eventually, after many days, Job is pushed to the breaking point.  In Job 29, he merely reflects on the way things were before disaster came, but by chapter 30, Job is brewing up a storm.  He complains and considers himself a righteous man, undeserving of what has come to him.  In Job 38, after another long speech from a friend, God answers Job.  I assure you, I would not have wanted this rebuke from God which went on four chapters thereafter. 

            What you need to know, and I encourage you to read it for yourself, is that God is truly all-powerful!  He takes care of the rising and setting of the sun and the tides and where the moon sits in the sky.  He controls the weather and the animals.  He is the ONLY righteous being!  He is BIG!  He is “large and in charge!” Yet, we deny that He could do more for us than bring a little peace and comfort.  We give in to the idea that it bothers God or that it is wrong to ask for more than what could be considered “politically correct” to have.  In fact, I think it bothers God when we ask for so little.  How can we truly trust and follow a God whom we allow to do so little in our lives? 

Jesus tells this parable in Luke 7:41-43, 47 (NIV).
“Two men owed money to a certain moneylender.  One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.  Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both.  Now which of them will love him more?”
                        Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled.”
                        “You have judged correctly,” Jesus said…
“Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven – for she loved much.  But he who has been forgiven little loves little.”

            I love this parable. It falls just in the middle of Jesus being anointed by a sinful woman.  Imagine Jesus eating dinner with the Pharisees and a woman who was known by the entire town as a sinful woman entered the house with an alabaster jar of perfume.  Imagine the woman coming and sitting at Jesus’ feet allowing her tears to cover Jesus’ feet so much that she was able to wipe them clean.  This woman’s hair was long and probably tied back, but she sat at Jesus’ feet, undoing her hair, and wiping his feet with her hair.  She bent down kissing them and pouring perfume on them.  Now, imagine you are the Pharisee who allowed Jesus into your home believing He was a great prophet.  The thoughts that roamed in the Pharisee’s mind were probably along the lines of disgust.  He felt disgusted that Jesus, a great prophet, would allow such a sinful woman to touch him.  Jesus subtly addresses these thoughts in this conversation with Simon Peter. 

            “He who has been forgiven loves little,” verse 47.  We forget that we ourselves are sinners and are in need of that forgiveness.  But more than that, I believe we forget that those who have been pulled out of a life of such turmoil love Jesus much more than we can imagine.  Why?  Because they came expecting that healing, that forgiveness, that anointing, knowing that nothing else on this earth can give it to them.  They knew that no one would be so forgiving and so powerful that they could allow such mercy EXCEPT for Jesus.  They knew His power.  They were able to dream that there was life beyond “that” sin or “that” mistake. 

            I am sure you can remember back when you were a kid when it was “that” thing that was so bad that you were gonna get a good whoopin’ for that one.  Or you can remember that time when you did something so bad that no one could ever forgive you.  Or early on in school when you did something so wrong that now your best friend was never ever going to trust you ever again!  I think we’ve forgotten that we still do this today.

            When I got my driver’s license at age 16, I thought I was pretty cool.  I was a year behind all of my classmates because I was almost a year younger than everyone, but I was awesome.  Two weeks after I got it, the first week of my junior year of high school, I totaled my mom’s van.  After I got back behind the wheel, in January, less than 5 months after getting my license, I slid on a patch of black ice, rolled down a hill, and by the grace of God a tree line stopped us.  Both accidents no one was hurt, but I totaled another van.  That January morning, the cell phone tower was out.  My brother, who is 18 months younger than I am, ran to a nearby house and called my parents.  I was TERRIFIED!  I didn’t think my parents were ever going to forgive me because I screwed up not only once but twice.  I had my siblings with me both times as well as a friend.  Of course, my parents forgave me but let’s just say, it took a long time for me to get behind the wheel again!  This story may seem silly to you, but it completely adjusted my way of thinking about the parable on forgiveness. 

            The great thing about God is that if we confess and truly seek to change our ways, He will forgive us.  Over and over again, He will forgive.  When I think about my parents’ forgiveness toward me and how I thought I was never going to be forgiven, I am amazed at how God works in our lives.  It took a long time for God to help me release that burden that I carried.  I wasn’t sure God was going to forgive me even if my earthly parents already had.  But God’s love is far more than what we can even imagine. 

            If God’s love is that large, imagine what He wants to be able to do for us as long as we are willing to ask and believe that He can achieve such impossibility!  Ephesians 3:20 (NIV) says, “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us...” That’s right!  He can do more than all we could ask or imagine, so why do we limit Him by limiting our prayers?  Why do we plan out our entire life knowing that God could do so much more if we allowed Him?  If we truly place our lives in His hands, we can have a vision of the future like no one else!  We can rely on His promises.  We can count on His faithfulness.  We can attempt to imagine how awesome our lives can be! 

            Those who have been forgiven much know His Power!  They know they can dream BIG because they have a big God!  A God of the impossible who can do more than we can imagine! 

            Dream BIG!  It’s worth it!  


No comments:

Post a Comment