Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Faith of a Child

Now, I know that Jesus was all about the kids.  "Let the children come to me..." BUT...I never realized how amazing the faith of a child really is until I was inspired by a child.  Before I get myself in trouble, I will say that this child is actually 12 years old.  BUT, it's still amazing that she can be in middle school and have a Christ-like life as she leads it.

When I was younger, I always had people telling me that I "inspired" them or that I was their "role model in Christ."  I brushed it off or relished it (depending on the day)...but never really thought about what they meant.  I just took it as a huge compliment and moved on with life.  As a child, I didn't have much life experience, but having grown up in the church, I knew a lot about Jesus.  It was expected and came easily when I went to church three times a week!  (Thanks Mom and Dad for the patience and driving!)  Anyway, I guess the knowledge or perhaps the sermons caught people's eye.  It was easy to believe in God when life wasn't too rough.  Sure, middle school and high school were tough and drama arose, but it didn't challenge my steadfast faith too much.  I believed God had me and He would get me through ANYTHING!  There weren't doubts in my mind.  I just trusted.

WELL...Now I've been through a few things: parents' divorce, college, coming out, etc.  It's not so easy now.  But oh how I wish it was!  Now I understand what Jesus was saying.

This girl, for the sake of the world-wide-web, we'll call her Grace.  She is twelve and in 6th grade.  She has been praying in tongues since she was 5 years old.  When we need prayer accomplished at church and a breakthrough to happen, she's one of the first people we call in.  She praises authentically - like, for real!  She watches kids in the nursery (even though she's a kid herself).  She has a faith that can move mountains.  And she is now on the diversity counsel at school, where she will be able to move in a mighty way in the school system for kids who may not have a "normal" family or they may not be "normal" (whatever normal is), whether by race, sexual orientation, beliefs, etc.  She may not have any clue how to do calculus yet or how to balance a checkbook, but she knows how to love God and love people.  It is truly inspiring.  How much more I should be able to love through the experience I've had and having God keep me through it all!

Anyway, I just wanted to remind you that we all should have the faith of a child.  The faith that remains through drought and storms as well as the beautiful fall days we've had!  The faith that remains when life gets tough.  The faith that keeps loving no matter what!


No comments:

Post a Comment